I have at least learned one thing; I don't have that 50's hourglass figure. Not at least when it comes to my bottom half. I was born pretty buttless - this pattern was not. It's actually a pajama set so I knew I might have to make some adjustments like adding a side zipper but taking the shorts in 13 times? I mean give me a break! They're still not super fitted but I like them. They're also quite high which means that I don't look that naked. There are so many different checks and stripes on this fabric I didn't even think about trying to get them to match or keeping the pattern balanced. Luckily I noticed that I had still managed to sort of match the thick light blue horizontal stripes.
The top was really easy and I think I might make another one to go with some high waisted jeans. The pattern suggests adding frills to the edges so I might try that too. The fabric that I used is one of my Walthamstow market finds. I realized early on that it is a bit too thick for this project but it turned out well. I would recommend a light cotton for something similar. Now all I need is some sand, big waves and a salty breeze!
|I used Simplicity pattern 4312 from the early 1950's|
A little footnote: I often take pictures of my outfits myself. It's not always easy - I don't have a tripod and either my camera takes pictures really quickly or I'm just really slow. Today is a perfect example of a shoot where it took a while to get there! I kept getting pictures of me trying to get to the spot where I needed to stand but not quite making it there. Things happen when I try to beat the shutter. I found a plant in our backyard that I hadn't seen before, I got caught in some laundry string and who knows what happened in the picture on the right. I took a leap to try and make it to the spot on time but clearly I didn't. I don't remember jumping that high though!